Saturday, August 20, 2011

Doodle #3: Dark Side of the Moon?

When Dick looked at this drawing, one of his findings within it was "the dark side of the moon" and I liked that a lot, so think if this needed a title, that might be it. It is really interesting doing these and this one is a little more organically shaped and bigger. I also realized why they take so long. Deb and I both use fine point Sharpies, but mine are the pen while I think hers are the markers. They are rewarding to work on. In fact, the process is probably more important than the product in the original philosophy of zen doodles. Click on the image to see it in more detail.
When Helen commented on Klimt's "The Kiss," I knew just what she meant. Some of the patterns of shapes in my drawings are very like those in his painting. Mine are areas of writing that I've worked back into with dark shapes. The end result is rather similar. Looking at more of his paintings, I see that he filled many areas with doodle-like shapes.

4 comments:

  1. Jean, this is fantastic. I see a Chinese dragon in this one... but I like the dark side of the moon! I meant to go and take a look at Klimt's work when Helen mentioned him, I'm glad you mentioned it again... I'll have to go now and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me this is aquatic rather than an arid moon landscape. I see a lot of fish scales in it and the swirling shapes are reminiscent of both water and underwater vegetation. In fact there´s a whole fish in there too and quite a 3D looking one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I think it is aquatic too. In fact I think there is a squid and Dick picked up on an octopus. There is a bird too though. Isn't this fun? Sort of like an ink-blot test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...I haven't felt well this past week so I'm a little brain dead. I would fail an ink-blot test as my eyes aren't picking up anything. However, it's very unique and looks like a lot of work. Great job!

    ReplyDelete